Saturday, October 25, 2008

shanghai nights

my insomniac nights are not faring well for my skin. am i still on shanghai time or is it i only need two hours a sleep a night? i only wish i had these super human powers to release myself of this need for sleep. ironically, i love sleep and can't get enough of it.

shanghai is like hong kong merged with a taipei of 20 years ago that is high on steroids and laced with coke. if you have enough money, you can practically get away with anything, practically anything. it's amazing how much loyalty you can buy with money, promise of prestige or position. it's all that i remember of taipei but exponentially more. if you're a male ABC, it's your playground to roam and pick as you please. just remember to don't get girls pregnant. if you're a female, good luck finding clothes that fit. it's the wild west, dog-eat-dog world of asia. actually most of china is like that.

i'm still thinking back on my experience of last week. one thing i know for sure - people are definitely rude. i've never been kicked out of a taxi until i got to china. not once, but twice.

am i even making sense? maybe it is time for bed.

1 comment:

Tanya said...

I am glad you are back in the USA! I understand about your experience in Shanghai. I think there is a sense of competition if you look Asian but you aren't from Shanghai/China? But I have the feeling that they are really really nice to foreigners of white descent? I didn't like working there at all! Hope you are getting more sleep. Talk to you soon.